Sunday, October 3, 2010

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY!

So as expected, there are good things about going to school in Galveston. Obviously, I'm basically on the beach! When the weather is nice...it's absolutely gorgeous! I'm on the island, so even when it's hot, there's usually a decent breeze. Everyone is pretty laid back, but we still get stuff done and we still do it well. Another good thing is that usually, you can get almost anywhere on the island in like 15-20 minutes, and you can walk most places when it's nice out. However, Galveston has it's "not so bright" moments. First, if it rains, the streets have a strong tendency to flood. One of the reasons I opted to purchase parking in the above-ground garage instead of taking my chances on the streets. If you'll recall, my little tank was almost swallowed by the UTSW underground garage floods about a year ago. I really don't need any re-inactment of that. Traffic is another issue-when there aren't any issues, everything moves really smoothly. But heaven forbid there's a problem. If a train comes, it takes an eternity to pass. Example-I was sitting at the railroad crossing today because the arms were down and the lights were on. There was no train. It took wasting WAY too much of my time for me to realize that I had 2 options because this was no longer OK: turn around and attempt (with fingers crossed...) that I could somehow go around the tracks or just go through the crossing like everyone else was doing. I'm not going to tell you which one I chose, but I will tell you that I didn't sit there and wait any longer. Also regarding traffic, if there's an accident on the big bridge, that's the ONLY reasonable way onto or off of the island! And this whole "laid back" thing is a double-edged sword. In the rare instance that I'm actually in a hurry...nobody cares. Not the drivers, not the lights, not the pedestrians crossing the street when the little orange hand is quite obvious. So as with any place to live, there are some really nice things and some kinda brutal things about Galveston. Now, here's the ugly:


Yes, that's a cruise ship. Now, don't get me wrong...I would LOVE to go on a cruise! And that it's so convenient is just awesome. But that's exactly the problem! Every week, usually on a Thursday, I have to drive by this stinkin thing and watch all the happy people go get on their pretty little cruise ship for a week-long vacation. I drive past them and just think that they're going to go enjoy new places, the sun, and just have a fantastic time. And I get to go sit in my classroom for the next 8 hours, then on Friday I'll spend half the day in a classroom and half the day in lab doing dissections. Thank goodness this doesn't usually occur on Mondays, or my friends might just have to drag me back off the cruise ship kicking and screaming. I'm only being mean because I'm jealous. I know those people go have a great time, and I can't wait to go sometime...probably after I graduate. I've tried to put it in this perspective: if I see the cruise ship once per week, that's one week (and one cruise ship) closer to when I can actually go join those people! One day...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment