Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'M CONFUSED

The good news is that I have Week 2 under my belt, yay! You just have to take it one day at a time and be grateful for the little victories. It was a pretty good week-a few writing assignments, some research stuff, a Surgical Society meeting, and I got to go to clinic again and see patients. I even got to go out on Friday night like a big kid! Ryan and I went on a dinner date, then we met up with some friends on the island for drinks. We had a really good time getting to relax! So ya, I'd say it was a pretty solid week and that I was quite productive. Despite all this wonderful-ness, I've been left a bit bewildered about something, and this may sound odd, but I'll explain...I'm not drowning yet! I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely busy and somewhat overwhelmed, but I'm not ridiculously, stupidly, beyond overwhelmed like I was last semester. EKG's and I are still learning how to communicate, and I'm still developing my relationship with Pharmacology, but I actually feel like I have a leg to stand on whereas last semester I was just lost, trying to stumble my way through all the darkness and chaos. So you are probably thinking, "Lauren, you are a nutcase, why is this a problem?" The answer is that I don't know what to expect, so I have absolutely no idea how to handle this. Should I just sit back and enjoy the calm? Is it the calm before some storm I'm totally unaware of? Do I use the time to start preparing for boards? Do I need to be spending 3 days every week going to see patients? Am I missing something that I need to be studying? If they're going to dump a whole ton of work on me again, can we please go ahead and do that so I can begin digging my way out!? I feel like a sitting duck!!! I can handle chaos, but I apparently I can't handle this. :/ Now, please don't misconstrue this as complaining; I would so much rather have this problem than any of the many other problems I could be facing right now. And I rather enjoy not having a laundry list of 5 billion things I HAVE to do before Monday. This "learning how to deal with not being sleep-deprived" thing is just a class I wasn't expecting this semester. I have used my new-found time to: SLEEP, get ahead on some writing assignments, exercise, see patients, and spend some quality time with the hubster (in case you don't speak "Lauren," hubster=hubby=husband). And don't tell my professors, but I've even watched that big black box in the living room...Ryan calls it a TV. Ooohhh, Aaahhh. I have to admit, I could kinda get used to this "relative normalcy" thing. And on that note, I'm going to go find something to do...it's 11 Am on a Saturday and I'm bored. Next week's assignments: check; clean apartment: check; balance finances: check; call mom: check. Maybe I'll go brush the dogs or wash my car or something. Tomorrow is dedicated to studying and going to the grocery store, so we can go ahead and check those off, too. And Monday is a holiday, so that will be some built-in extra study time. See what I mean? I have no idea how to handle this...

No comments:

Post a Comment