Wednesday, May 9, 2012

BABIES!

Lol, no...it's probably not what you are thinking :).
First, I found a baby duck. I know, it was only a matter of time living this close to a pond with so many ducks and with said pond being on my jogging route (no coincidence there!). So I'm out for a usual afternoon jog and notice a group of people huddled around something. I thought they were harassing the ducks, and I was about to get mad. Turns out there was a tiny duckling in the grass. It had been abandoned (or someone dumped it). Poor thing could barely walk and was just shaking because he was so cold. I tried to put him with some other families, but they all ran away from him, and he couldn't follow :(. It was also odd that none of the other ducklings at the pond appeared to be his age. So of course, I took him home. I've had ducklings before, and knew he wouldn't survive the night as he was way too little, plus we had a storm/cold front moving in...there was no way he'd be ok. He was on the verge right then and there. So...as expected, he got fat, happy, and spoiled living here, just like the rest of the crazy family. We called him Goober because, well, it just fit. I made a place for him in the bathroom, and he was quite content. He hated to swim and loved to snuggle. He didn't even go to sleep without a towel to snuggle into. Heaven forbid I forgot his towel at night, he'd chirp and quack until I brought one in. As babies do, he just grew and grew, and outgrew our little habitat for him. It was also quite a task with 4 dogs and 2 cats that would have loved to take a closer look at him! I knew he'd gotten too big for us, plus, my mission was accomplished. He was well nourished and big enough to handle the weather. Now, it was time to find him a home where he could continue to grow. We took him to a wildlife refuge nearby, where they had lots of other ducklings. They said they would integrate him into a little group and let them grow up together. It was sad to see him go, but I know our bathroom isn't a proper duck habitat.
Second, my friend Layla's horse had her baby! The baby is a beautiful Friesian boy they named Otto. And he sure is a little spitfire! Absolutely stunning though. He is doing very well, and already getting into trouble and stealing big-kid food from mom! He will certainly be keeping the Barrington family on their toes. Plus, she has another mare due very soon! Yup, there will soon be 2 foals out there. I put foals on the same level as ducklings on the cuteness scale :).
And lastly, my OBGYN rotation is over. I really enjoyed this rotation all in all. The clinic was fantastic, as were my preceptors. In the end, I helped with delivering 15 babies, plus all the clinic business and procedures in between which kept me plenty of busy. I can definitely see doing this when I graduate. Now, on to pediatrics! Oh geez, wish me luck! But hey, it's my LAST rotation. Hard to believe it, but I graduate in August and take my boards in November. It's gone so quickly, but I can't wait to get back home to DFW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment