Saturday, October 15, 2011

LIFE IS LIKE A GAME OF DODGEBALL

Well, I survived general surgery! Yay! And I didn't pass out! I ended up enjoying it much more than I expected. What did I enjoy most? Probably the atmosphere. It was a light, relaxed atmosphere, but it was still efficient and productive. My preceptor was also pretty awesome, so I'm sure that had an impact. So what did I learn? First, life is apparently like a game of dodgeball. You'll always have people on your side and always have people not on your side. You may have strengths, but you'll also always have weaknesses. You'll play the game better if you learn to work as a team. You won't get very far by sitting in the corner alone doing nothing or just being scared to play. And lastly, it CAN BE FUN! Granted, I also learned a lot about the surgeries we were doing and patient care...but you'll probably find the dodgeball thing more interesting :) So all in all, I had a great rotation, I really learned a lot, and surgery is still in the running for career possibilities. I also learned/realized how important it is to have a boss that I really get along with if I do choose a career in surgery because of how closely we will be required to work. So ER is up next...yet another foreign environment and new experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment