Wednesday, August 15, 2012

BUSY

Ok, here goes a soap-box moment. If you don't like my soap-box moments, go on and scroll ahead. You ever hear someone say how busy they are, all the time...and you know how hard it is to wipe that "really, you're THAT busy?" look off your face before they notice? I'd like to think I've had my share of busy with living in 3 metroplexes, 9 moves in 8 years, getting a Master's degree, being on medical rotations (i.e. having a new home every 4 weeks), getting/being married, family, etc. BUT, I also realize that I consciously choose my priorities. If I'm too busy for one thing, it's because I've chosen something else to do with my time. For a while, I was "too busy" for many things because I was planning my wedding, which was my priority then. I'm "busy" now because I choose to study for my impending board exams. I was "too busy" to update this very blog because school and sleep came first.  It just irks me and makes my skin crawl when I hear people tell me how busy they are, but that's all they say. Really, what keeps you so busy? I get it, we are all busy. But you have to take some responsibility (yes, that word that has been lost in translation in today's society...) for that and realize that you choose your priorities and where you want to spend your time first. I've realized that "busy" is really just an excuse meaning "whatever else just wasn't a priority." Whether it's being too busy for church, too busy to sleep, too busy for a vacation, too busy to catch up with or visit friends or family, too busy to lose weight, whatever it is... It also irks me when I talk to someone and ask what they have been up to, and the response I get is, "We've just been so busy!" Well really? You think that's why I called? Why don't you fill me in on what's been keeping you so busy? And if you can't answer that question...I guess you aren't as busy as you think you are. I know who has school, a family, interesting jobs, volunteering projects, etc...don't tell me how busy you are, tell me about the AWESOME things that keep you so damned busy. Because if you are choosing them over doing other things, they must be awesome, Right? I think if I ever have kids, the word "busy" will be on the bad word list and they won't be allowed to use it. It's a useless word that covers up what you really mean and helps you make excuses.
Disclaimer: I'm not perfect! I know I've used "busy" before, and yes, I've used it as an excuse before. I've even used it here on this blog! But I'm setting a goal for myself to stop using it, especially as a cop-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment